Cheesecake Lemon Bars
Here you have the ultimate spring dessert! Seriously I don’t know if it gets much better, these bars are to. die. for! Just try them yourself and you’ll see what I mean.
Here you get not just one or two layers of utter decadence but FOUR layers of heavenly, sublimely lemony, utterly creamy, melt-in your-mouth bliss! You will most definitely wow a crowd with these over-the-top bars. How could you go wrong with layered buttery shortbread, vibrant lemon bar filling, perfectly rich and creamy cheesecake and lusciously smooth sweetened sour cream all together in one bar? You just can’t.
Yes, it may seem these have an overdose of sugar but it’s not much more than that cake I just baked, plus keep this in mind it will be split between 24 servings (which equates to 2 Tbsp per serving which seems about right for a dessert). You can get a lot of bars out of these. And with Easter just around the corner, being a holiday you have an excuse to go all out. Or make them just because we all need a weekend treat. Just have plenty of people to share with because they are irresistibly tempting. Self control, gone. Good bye. Hello Cheesecake Lemon Bars!
- 1 1/2 cups (213g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (68g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, cold and diced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (4.6 oz) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened well (but not melted)
- 3/4 cup (165g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) sour cream
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 4 Tbsp (34g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, set aside.
- For the shortbread layer:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, powdered sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and spread and pat into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until set, about 15 – 18 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing fillings.
- For the lemon layer:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and eggs until well blended. Set aside (don’t pour into crust yet, you don’t want it to soak into the shortbread layer while you’re preparing cheesecake filling).
- For the cheesecake layer:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, cream together cream cheese and granulated sugar until smooth, about 30 seconds. Mix in eggs one at at time adding in vanilla with second egg. Mix in 1/4 cup sour cream. Tap bowl against countertop about 10 times to release any large air bubbles.
- Pour lemon filling over crust then evenly pour cheesecake filling over lemon layer. Skim off any air bubbles. Gently spread cheesecake filling into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until filling only jiggles slightly, about 29 – 33 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature 45 minutes then transfer to refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours.
- For the sour cream layer:
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together sour cream and powdered sugar. Spread into an even layer over chilled bars. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- Recipe source: adapted with some changes from allrecipes